Carter And BackStreetBoys Addicted
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview(Solo album).-Danish Magazine,issue of November

2 posters

Go down

Interview(Solo album).-Danish Magazine,issue of November Empty Interview(Solo album).-Danish Magazine,issue of November

Post  KAOS Sun 2 Nov 2008 - 22:40

thanx to: Alex McLean The One

(Free translation of the interview in the Danish Magazine Bazar( issue:November 2008) by Karen Pollisgaard.The interview took place at the club Vega in Copenhagen the 28th May 2008)

He is known for being the bad Backstreet Boy and he has struggled his way out of drug -and alcoholabuse. Six years ago he was reunited with the rest of the boyband live on Oprah, and he says that he will never leave the band. But he also has a need to show the world who he is. That is why A.J. McLean is ready with his first solo album. Bazar met him when he was in Denmark to promote it.

'You all know AJ, but now I want you to meet Alex.Alexander James McLean.' That is how the man in black clothes with the many tattooes on the stage in Vega, Copenhagen introduces himself.

Without any accessories or rehearsed dancemoves he is standing in front of a few hundred people(girls), who came to see the hot Backstreet Boy..s soloproject.

He is starting up with a number of cool,adult tracks, which every Backstreet fan definitely will love.The Atmosphere is intense. Girls scream, when Alex sings.Never have they been this close to their idol.

Bazar was allowed to get close to the American singer.We met him just before the concert in his backstagearea, which provided nachos,matadormix(Danish candy) and bottled water for the ex-alcoholic, who is such a kind person, eventhough we are disturbing him in the middle of his soundcheck.

He enters the room whisteling and smiling and bides us welcome with his strong American accent and his characteristic hoarse voice. He sits astride on a chair and lits a cigarette.

'Hey,good to see you.I am Alex -really nice to meet you' he says and keeps a steady eyecontact with me. Definitely the same to you,the interviewer from Bazar thought and asks the question, which many people would like to have an answer for.

Does your solo mean that it is the end of Backstreet Boys?

-'No,not at all.We just all agreed on that we should not keep each other back.As long as we are open and honest, it is fine.I am not coming out of nowhere and saying 'Hey guys,i will go solo now'. They have known for a period of 4 years. And next year we will head back into the studio and make a new BB-record.We will never stop.We have been going on for 15 years and it is not a job anymore,it is like a family -a lifestyle.We have been through so much together.So as long as the music is good and the fans like it,we will keep on.

Then why did you decide to go solo now?

-'Now I am finally ready to show people who I am outside the band.You loose a bit of your identity,when you have been in a group for so long. And now it is my turn.Nick and Brian both did their projects,and Howard is also ready with his. I am ready and passionate about it. That is also why I am doing this pre-tour to make people excited.

How would you like the World to see you?

-'I am much more than a Backstreet Boy.There is AJ and then there is Alex. AJ is more a character.In reality I am more quiet and easy. My own music is more personal and real.People can see themselve in it -both boys and girls.'

What can we expect us from your music and concerts?

-'A lot of energy,passion and no censor.It is a little crazy and very naughty.I can say and sing exactly what I want. And that is a lot of bullshit,ha ha ha! No,people should have fun,listen to the good music and let go of themselve. My album is a mix of all which I get inspired by,such as Lenny Kravitz, Gnarls Barkley,Led Zeppelin,country music ,a bit Prince and rocksongs with strong personal lyrics.I would like people to get inside my head.'

Why would you like to share your heart with the public?

-'I am not scared of being emotional and it is a good way of letting people to get to know me. I am already on a public platform,but nobody see us in Backstreet Boys as individuals,so this is my chance to find my own feet.'

What do you sing about?

-'The song Sincerely Yours is about the relationship with my father,that I never had.It is written as a letter and it is what I would say to him,if he was right in front of me.Then there is I Hate It When You..re Gone,that lyrically is one of my favourites.It is about the things everybody experience in a relationship,all the small things your partner does,that annoys you.But at the same time you cannot do without the person.Many guys seems to like this song. Then there is I Quit,which is my ode to The Break Up World,so you can play this song,if you ever have to break up with your boy/girlfriend.'

How does it feel to be all alone on stage without your Backstreet Boys?

-At the first show I did in California it was a bit weird. But now I have done 6 shows and I am passionate about it.I live on and for the stage,with or without the guys.'

Is it the usual fans,who show up at your soloshows?

-'Actually,I see tons of new people I have never seen before.Old People,some guys,going crazy and having a good time -it is a curious crowd,who comes to see who I am outside the band. But there also comes a lot of fans,who bring their friends along to check me out.'

Which reactions have you received so far?

-'Phenomenal.People already know the songs from Youtube and at the moment the song London is the most popular.Everybody loves that song and the fact,that I can sing and say a lot more than i am allowed to with the Backstreet Boys.'

You turned 30 this year and you have been through a lot with the band and the struggle against your addiction.Where are you in your life now?

-'I am at the best place,I have been in my life. The last 30 years I have always been a teamplayer and a total people-pleaser.I have had friends, who have used me,but I am doing this for myself.I am ready and I believe in it 100%.'

Then what will happen,if you..ll fail,when your album comes out?

-'If it will go bad and i stumple flat on my face,that is ok. Then at least I have done it.And I have done something in my life,that was just for me,but I will admit,my biggest fear is to fail. I will go to the extreme to make sure that does not happen.But if the album does not succeed,I don..t think I will see it as a failure.Then,it..s a success,because I tried.'

That must take courage?

-'I..m pretty hard on myself,but í am trying to work on it.I find my strength in my family,in my sobriety and now I surround myself with the right people.The BB-guys are also my best friends.'

You don..t look like an ordinary boyband member with your black,scary look.How does it reflect your personality?

-'It..s the complete opposite.My look are more of a show.What you see on the outside is not what you get on the inside.In reality I..m very emotional and quiet,but at the same time I am outgoing and not scared of people.And then I am actually an old-fashioned romantic.I..m the guy,who asks a girl,if I can kiss her.I don..t just do it.That is the way I am raised.It is about respect.'

What are your ambitions professional and personal for the next cople of years?

-'I would like to tour the World with my show and I..m looking forward to make a new BB-record.I would also like to do some acting again -preferable musicals.And hopefully before I turn 40,I will meet the right girl,settle down and have some children.I..m not in a hurry,but anyway I am,a little.I don..t want to be 40 and still single.'

How does the familydreams fit with the tourlife?

-'If it is the right one,it can work.Brian,Howie and Kevin,they have all made it work.I know lots of celebreties in this business,who have been married for 20 years and have a great carreer.It is so important to have your best friend,your wife through good and bad times.It is all about mutual support,like if I tell her I will be gone for 3 months she will understand it.As long as I behave nice...'
KAOS
KAOS
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1371
Where do you live? : NRW
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Interview(Solo album).-Danish Magazine,issue of November Empty Re: Interview(Solo album).-Danish Magazine,issue of November

Post  nicksbabe Sun 23 Nov 2008 - 14:31

Aw AJ is so sweet.......good interview!

nicksbabe
Star
Star

Female
Number of posts : 80
Where do you live? : With Nick
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down